The Burn ICU rotation provides CBY and CA-1 residents the opportunity to become competent in the anesthetic management of burns and severe wounds.
CBY residents will learn basic anesthetic management skills for the burn patient. CA-1 residents will be able to perform a safe, well-planned general anesthetic on a critically ill patient undergoing a complex surgical procedure from induction through emergence. Specifically, residents rotating though the Burn ICU will develop competency in:
- Fluid management;
- Acid base management;
- OR ventilation management;
- Safe positioning of burn patients for surgery;
- Appropriate anesthetic techniques, including general and conscious sedation, difficult airway management, and LMA indications;
- Tracheostomy management;
- Safe transport of critically ill patients.
Residents will develop proficiency in:
- Postoperative pain control;
- Intraoperative and postoperative fluid strategies;
- Indications for and timing of blood product administration;
- Vascular access techniques in patients with limited available sites;
- Anesthetic risk assessment.